Friday, June 17, 2011

Our Favorite Sunscreen

With record heat in Houston already this summer, we all have sun and, hopefully, sunscreen on our minds. It reminds me of our visit to Schlitterbahn last year when a local woman was amazed we had survived a day in the park without getting a sunburn. 

Hats, rash guards, and sunscreen keep the sun fun!
“What’s your secret?”
  
My husband and I turned in bewilderment to the lady at the next table, “Huh?” 

“I can see you just spent the day at Schlitterbahn, she said, gesturing to our armbands, “yet not one of you is even slightly sunburned.  I have never seen anyone leave that park without a sunburn.” 

I turned to look at my two children, then ages 3 and 1 and had to agree.  I mentally patted myself on the back.  As a fish-belly-white, redhead with sensitive skin, I take sun protection seriously.  I had experimented through the years on my own skin, and when my son, who inherited my skin-tone and sensitivity, started playing in the sun, I was even more vigilant. 

I had found that any sunscreen using chemical blockers was too painful to use so I only bought those that listed zinc oxide or titanium oxide as the active ingredient.  I also found that many sunscreens would eventually run into my eyes, but stumbled upon an amazing discovery after a spending a day on a dive boat with only my daily moisturizer for protection.  It worked great! 

So I told her, “Actually, I just use Olay Complete Defense Daily UV Moisturizer, SPF 30 for sensitive skin on everyone’s faces and then any regular sunscreen with titanium oxide or zinc oxide everywhere else.  The kids also wear rash guards and hats, and we try to get as much shade as possible during the day.”

I laughed when she wrote it down, it was almost as good as someone asking for my autograph.  I never thought I would run across someone who thought fish-belly-white was cool!


No comments:

Post a Comment