Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Travel Toys We Love: Modeling Dough

A nice set of modeling dough
found at Barnes & Noble.  
When traveling with children, taking the time to find fun travel toys and games can mean the difference between a relaxing journey or an endless one.  But keeping kids entertained on long trips can be challenging even with toys and games purported to be especially for travel.  Small pieces that slip between seat cushions or magnets that aren't strong enough to hold pieces in place during turbulence in the air or when hitting bumps in the car can bring on a temper tantrum.  So each time we have a trip planned, I take a tour of our local dollar store looking for travel-friendly items that the kids will enjoy.

Modeling dough comes in a rainbow
of colors that spark the imagination.

I have found a number of great options that work for long trips, no matter what mode of travel is involved, most of which aren't explicitly made with travel in mind.  My most recent find was Faber-Castell Modeling Dough, although many other types have seemingly sprung up everywhere recently.  I have tried taking the mini tubs of Play-doh that my children get in treat bags from school and birthday parties, but the colors just mix together causing the kids a lot of frustration.  The modeling dough, on the other hand, is meant for creating multi-colored items that can be disassembled and used again and again or dried and painted.

On this particular trip, I created some puppies for my kids, taking special care to choose colors that were favorites of each child.  To my amazement, these less than realistic animals captivated my kids and kept them busy long enough that I could actually do the crossword  puzzle in the airline magazine.  My creations were rather delicate and had to be repaired a few times, but they played happily for at least 45 minutes.  I knew I had hit the jackpot when the next question was whether or not I would make them each another puppy and not, "Are we there yet?"
    
This puppy kept my child's attention
for at least 45 minutes of our flight. 
Rudimentary clay animals are quick
and easy to make.  



No comments:

Post a Comment