Friday, September 9, 2011

Travel with Kids Product Review: SafeFit By My Side Harness with Backpack


Traveling with kids - especially toddlers - brings a whole new perspective on how to get from Point A to Point B.  Old standbys like baby carriers and strollers start to fall by the wayside as children begin to strengthen their walking skills.  But getting quickly from one place to another isn't a high priority for a toddler, nor is going a long distance.  So parents traveling with toddlers need to consider other options to keep everyone happy and safe while getting where they need to go.
One option that we considered was the By My Side Harness with Backpack from SafeFit (now called Brica).  I thought the harness would give my son some freedom, while still keeping him within a safe distance and would also give my tired arms a rest.   We used it for the first time at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeowhen he was about 15 months old.

When we arrived at the rodeo, we  gave our umbrella stroller one last longing look, before grabbing the backpack.  My son was very excited to wear his own special backpack and it was small enough that it wasn't bulky or bothersome to him.  The "leash" part of the backpack seemed to be an appropriate length for keeping him close enough to me to stay safe.  The side pockets for holding drinks or sippy cups weren't tall enough for the job, so I didn't use them for that purpose.  NoteThere is a new model out that may have better side pockets.  Be sure to check them before purchasing to ensure that cups will fit securely.
We did end up carrying my son through the parking lot, to the Fannin South METRORail light rail station and he sat on my lap for the ride to Reliant Park.  I also decided to keep carrying him through the ticket lines and into the livestock buildings.  (So much for resting my tired arms!)  But once we were inside, I put him down and we began our experiment.
Here is where things became dicey.  First off, everyone looked at me as if I were demeaning my child by putting him on a leash.  Not one to let public opinion sway me, I shrugged it off in  hopes that the harness system would work for us.  However, things were even more of a sideshow as time went on.  Of course, my son had no compunction about walking in front of anyone and no self-regulation when it came to wrapping himself around poles or someone's legs.
Wearing the By My Side Harness System by SafeFit at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.
I thought the harness system would give me a chance to view the livestock as well, but in the end I just spent my time untangling my son and apologizing to the massive crowd of folks that he managed to walk in front of or trip.  At least when he wasn't tied to me, he could walk away without disrupting the entire flow of traffic in a crowded place - and I could race after him without adding to the mess.  My shortsightedness contributed to our dilemma as well, I kept thinking I would be able to divide my attention between my son and the livestock, but in reality I had to pay more attention than usual since the leash gave him just enough distance from me to get into mischief while also impeding the walkway.  (The leash portion of the harness system measures 45.5" from the tip of the handle to the end of the clip).
On a scale from 1 to 10, I rate the  By My Side Harness with Backpack from SafeFit as a 4.  The backpack was small at 8" tall and 7" wide and comfortable for my son to wear.  There was room for a diaper and small pack of wipes, but the side pockets were not large enough to hold his sippy cups at only 2.5" tall.   Overall, the harness system itself was not functional in the crowded livestock show, so I can't see it working in other crowded settings either - and honestly, those seem like the places where a parent would want to use it, thus the poor rating.
I could see how a harness system might work for someone with multiples, but for one child it seemed to increase the need for vigilance instead of reducing it.  Holding hands was a better option for us and we never used the harness system again.

No comments:

Post a Comment